AFFORDABLE CARE ACT: Whether you already have health insurance through your job or you are planning on getting it through the new marketplace, the Affordable Care Act is going to protect you. Under the new health care law, new rules will help you get the care you need. Here's how your insurance coverage is getting better:
- You cannot be denied coverage or charged more because of a pre-existing condition.
- You cannot be dropped from your insurance if you get sick or injured.
- Your insurer cannot impose an annual limit on how much care they will pay for.
- Your insurer cannot put a cap on how much health care they will cover over your lifetime.
- Important preventive care-like blood pressure checks, cholesterol tests and cancer screenings-is 100 percent covered, with no co-pays.
- You are protected from big increases in your premiums.
- Your insurer has to spend at least 80 percent of premiums on direct medical care or efforts to improve the quality of care - and if they don't, they have to cut you a check.